Statement of Consumer Rights and Responsibilities
As a consumer of Independence, Inc., you have a right to:
- Choose your own goals and timetables for their completion
- Change your mind about types and duration of services
- Be treated with dignity and respect
- Privacy and confidentiality (see note below)
- Live as you choose in your own home without judgment or interference
- Make your own decisions and choose from the available options
- Bring an advocate to all meetings
- Copies of the contents of your consumer file
- Receive any accommodations that will enable you to receive services or participate in programs offered by Independence, Inc.
- Initiate a grievance procedure regarding staff or services at Independence, Inc.
As a consumer of Independence, Inc., you are responsible for:
- Meeting your scheduled appointments and class times
- Letting us know if you need to reschedule an appointment
- Treating others at the center with respect
- Letting us know what your goals are
- Doing your part to complete your goals
- Request accommodations to a staff member at least one week in advance. For example, when requesting a sign language interpreter; assistive listening device; or print handout material in Braille, large print, or an audio format.
NOTE: A complete explanation of privacy and confidentiality appears in the “Independence, Inc. Notice of Privacy Practices based on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)” given to consumers during the intake process. A copy of this Notice is available upon request.
Also available: PDF version of this document.