Independence, Inc. COVID – 19 Statement, Information and Resources
The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting everyone and is raising questions daily about what this means for us, our families and the communities in which we live. Rest assured, we are and will continue to be here for YOU with our programs and services during this time and beyond. The health and safety of our consumers, our staff and the public is our top priority and we are daily evaluating the best service-delivery methods as local COVID-19 related information changes. Currently All staff remain at work in our building and are available to meet virtually (Zoom, Chime, etc.) by phone or email. Our contact information has not changed; you can continue to reach us M-F 8:30-5:00 Contact Us.
Our lobby will be under construction beginning Monday, June 29. We will be adding safety glass enclosures to our front desk and a buzz-in system to access our offices and conference room. During this time our front door will remain locked. If you need assistance, please call our front desk when you arrive as we may not hear the doorbell. We will continue to phase-in the reopening of our computer lab to the public and begin opening up our building once construction is complete. We anticipate this being late August but will continue to update.
Please visit the link below for our current Statement of Operations during this stage of the COVID-19 Pandemic. We recognize how quickly things are changing and we will update information in a timely manner as needed. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
A note about COVID-19 Resources: Information and resources are changing daily. Please be advised that although this list is current to the best of our ability, all information is subject to change at any time.
- Food Resources:
- COVID-Related Community Updates
- Educational Resources
- Boys and Girls Club Lawrence
►National Organization Websites and Information
- Individual $500 COVID-19 relief: grant opportunity for those with SCI/D
- World Health Organization COVID-19 Information
- CDC – How to Protect Yourself
- CDC American Sign Language COVID video series
- Federal Restrictions to Visiting Nursing Homes 3.16.20
- For Employers/Workplace: EEOC Guidance on COVID-19 and the ADA
- CARES Act Economic Impact Payments Information:
►Kansas Resources and Information
- State of Kansas COVID-19 Jobs and Hiring Portal
- Housing resources: Foreclosure, Eviction, Late Rent
- Symptom Checker – COVID-19 vs. Cold, Flu, Allergies
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment Updates and Resources
- Governor Kelly Executive Orders
► Self Advocacy/Resources for People with Disabilities & Direct Support Workers
- Understanding Burnout During COVID-19: What it is and how can you practice self-care
- Southeast ADA Center and ADA National Network COVID-19 portal for people with disabilities
- SARTAC COVID-19 information for self-advocates
- COVID-19 HCBS Waiver Meaures:
- National Rehabilitation Information Center – resources to stay healthy, active and engaged while sheltering-in-place
- National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals (NADSP) COVID-19 Toolkit for Personal Service Care Workers and other Direct Support Professionals
- GrassRoots Advocates for Independent Living (GRAIL): Preparation Tips for Self-Directing Consumers
- National ILRU Disaster Hotline for People With Disabilities
- American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD) Survey Participants Needed!
- AAHD is conducting survey-based research to study the impact of COVID-19 on people with disabilities and they need YOU to participate!
- To participate in the survey on how the COVID pandemic has impacted you/your life https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/COVID-19-Disability