Center for Independent Living
"Maximizing the independence of people with disabilities through advocacy, peer support, training, transportation and community education"
- Disability Mentoring Day is just around the corner! DMD is one of our biggest events here at Independence, Inc. as we support area youth with disabilities working towards independence through job-readiness support and skill-building. To celebrate National Disability Mentoring Day each October, we match area youth with local Business Mentors for a morning of job-shadowing and follow up with a banquet and fabulous keynote speaker. Sound interesting? We are looking for Business Mentors AND Business Sponsors for this event! Find out all about DMD and an RSVP to the banquet here!
Job Openings! Full Time Transportation Operator - click here for details
- INDEPENDENCE, INC. is proud to announce that it has received a $40,000 Nursing Home Transition grant through our State Association, Kansas Association of Centers for Independent Living (KACIL), from the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation! Read our Press Release and more information about this exciting opportunity here!
- Let your voice be heard - you can make a difference! The City of Lawrence is conducting a study to determine citizens sense of engagement, safety, support and more with our Lawrence Kansas Police Department. Follow this link for more information and to take the survey.
- Lawrence City Commission honors 27th ADA anniversary with signing of proclamation. Check out our Blog page to read more!
- "GOP Fumbling on Healthcare" - read the latest information from the NCIL about the Better Care Reconciliation Act here - Your voice matters!
- Our Summer Newsletter is here "Building Bridges, Touching Lives". Would you like to receive a copy? Sign up for our e-newsletter here and we'll email it to you!